At last I have managed to complete a swatch on the USM! I will be honest – there was A LOT of frustration. No matter what I did I kept having stitches just drop off from the middle of my work for no apparent reason. And when half of the row drops off, it winds up being beyond repair. Then I would start all over. Ugh.
So I talked with Cari the other day about it. Turns out that my problem was I was allowing the front of the carriage to lift up a little as I was knitting across the row. I tried once again with this in mind, and voila! I managed to knit a good sized swatch.
I dropped a couple of stitches at the beginning of a row when the work got pretty long. This was my first attempt to pick up/fix dropped stitches. I know I didn’t get it perfect since If you look carefully at the left side of my work about half way up, you can see the flaw in my work, but I feel pretty good about it for a first try. Then I used the S hooks and rubber bands on the edges, and had no more problems. I have got to get some claw weights!
Now, time to bind off! It actually wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be. I used the chain method. One note– make sure you leave enough yarn to bind off. I made the mistake of not leaving enough yarn, so I had to tie another piece to the end so I could finish.
All in all I feel pretty good that I FINALLY managed to finish a swatch. It has been frustrating for me trying to work out all the kinks in the process, but now I feel ready to attempt a real project!